Moshiach isn’t here yet because he doesn’t know whether to wear a kippah srugah, a velvet yarmulke, black and white clothing, colored clothing…. or if she is a woman (I know, I know)— whether to wear stockings with a seam, a shaitel, a hat, a snood, a tichel…… I have a very “WHY can’t we all just GET ALONG” attitude about Judaism and my husband seems to attract the crazies!!!!! JUST THIS WEEK:
1) Three different parents from a more “right wing” school have spoken to my husband about him working at a more “left wing” school (he had worked in the past at the more “right wing” school). He’s gotten comments such as these. “Have you been demoted?” “Has your student gone off the derech yet? It’s only a matter of time if he goes to ___ school”. “Why did your student’s parents switch him to a non frum school?” (It IS frum, just more left wing than the other school— sheesh— and at any rate, why the #$%#$% is it anyone’s business why a kid goes to a particular school? Parents know their child best.)
2) One parent kept going on and on so my husband said how great it is to work at a school where the students have the opportunity to make a parnassah. Well ok my husband should have kept his mouth shut but apparently the other man almost beat up my husband for saying that men should work for a living and not sit in kollel. He then told him that attitudes like his bring down our neighborhood and he should move to another neighborhood. Um, right, because EVERY man in this neighborhood should learn in kollel. Yeah—- I see their wives are all making $100,000 a year— not. How about supporting yourselves and not living off of government assistance as you decide to have as many children as you want?
Enough already, people. LIVE AND LET LIVE. HaShem has too many assistants.
It’s my blog and I’ll vent if I want to.
Editing to add a bunch of similar stuff from a previous post— may as well stick all of this crud together in one post to keep track of it all— might write a book someday about how to get along with different groups of Jews and not make yourself sound like a total asshole.
Just the STUPID ridiculous things people have said to us this summer about our kids and/or about my mother in law dying. Here’s a fun sampling. PS— the ones that involve Orthodox Jews? I’ve been asked to stop posting about those on facebook because of Chillul HaShem. You know what’s Chillul HaShem in my book? People not being aware that people of all colors, shapes, sizes, and yes, religions can be ASSHOLES. Sorry for the language but it’s my blog and I’ve got to curse. Read on.
1) When my husband takes one of our kids for a walk in the special needs stroller and walks by a particular house, a bratty kid (unsupervised of course) says…. “WALK MUCH?” Another group of kids (with the father right there not saying anything because he can’t stand our kids even more than his children) says…. “baby baby…. goo goo gaaa gaaaa”. Yep, fellow Orthodox Jews.
2) When my husband asked a man at the zoo to please stop staying at our son (who was screaming “I AM A PSYCHO!”), he got punched. HARD. In the stomach. (my husband, not my son. But still!)
3) Right to my husband’s face “is your son still a freak?”
4) At synagogue my husband was told he shouldn’t say kaddish for his mother because she didn’t believe in God. Nobody said anything because the person who said it learns full time (in Orthodox Judaism the men who learn full time and don’t work for a living are held to a very high regard by many. Me personally? I’m FINE with men learning full time ***IF*** they can do it without Medicaid, food stamps, WIC, section 8, and all the rest because sucking off the government is not “making it” financially nor is it supporting your wife and family.) So when someone saves for years in order to enter Kollel I think it’s wonderful. How often does THAT happen?!?!
5) I think the extreme idiot award goes to the person calling himself an Orthodox Jew who told my husband his mother died because he shaved off his beard like a goy (deragatory word for non-Jew). (my husband follows Rabbi Moshe Feinstein who wrote about how men living in America can shave their beards for particular reasons while being Orthodox Jews).
6) During shiva, a tzedakah organization called for money. Hubby said no, he’s sitting shiva. They called back and left a message and an email. The email said that she died SO THAT he’d have a chance to donate to a worthy organization—- guess who is never getting a penny from us!??!?!? what is WITH people?