Well now all of a sudden we’re living what will be a chapter in our grandchildrens’ textbooks. If anyone is living under a rock….. the whole world is passing around a novel coronavirus (it probably started in October or November and for most people it’s no big deal but the death rate for those who are elderly or suffering other health conditions is extreme enough that bit by bit over the last couple of weeks everything except groceries, pharmacies, and gas has been shutting down. Places of work, schools, restaurants, entertainment venues….. it’s all on a long break. As is my sanity. I love my children but there’s a definite reason I’m not cut out to homeschool. We’re about to start their second week of no school (and no time for mommy to work)….. it’s a disaster for them and us emotionally, it’s a disaster financially— it’s just a disaster all around. THANK GOD, though, none of the four of us have this illness as far as I know. I’ve been coughing and blowing my nose daily since January, some weeks worse than others but I think at my age (45) I’m finally beginning to develop allergies since I’ve never had a cold last for months. When the dust settles I’ll go back to an allergist (I had a horrible case of hives in 2005 so I’d been to one before, but that allergy cleared up and I was fine since then). However, I’d been functional (as functional as someone with all my other health stuff CAN be— I’ll get to all that at some point) enough to do my appointments, my kids’ appointments, errands, etc etc. But now? All day in my jammies. Listening to my kids bitch about school work. Breaking up my kids’ fights. Fun times, y’all.
US Intelligence reports warned about a possible pandemic back in Jan and Feb. NOW in mid March we’re finally shutting down and staying home. I have so many political thoughts…. but…
Let’s look on the BRIGHT SIDE!
1) My kid who lives in pajamas actually gets to live in pajamas. I make her shower and change pajamas, but…. details.
2) We sleep as late as we want and nap when we want.
3) The “school day” is less than 2 hours long.
4) Gas prices went way down.
5) I’m still stressed because I have two autistic kids at home I have to keep on task and keep from killing each other, but it’s a different TYPE of stress. No more juggling 83 million appointments a week— all non essential appointments are….. vanished from the calendar. Even my surgery in June will likely be postponed because it’s not an emergency and nobody will be caught up by then.
6) MY HUSBAND IS HOME EVERY NIGHT DOING DAF YOMI BY SPEAKER PHONE! No, I’m not sitting there listening, but just hearing a bit of it in the background as I’m doing other things makes me so happy…. it’s a huge part of his life of which I’ve never been a part.
Having listed all the positives….. um…. let this nightmare be over SOON. PLEASE?